Monday, November 7, 2011

Earvin 'Magic' Johnson Encourages Students to Pursue Multiple Dreams


In an exclusive interview for the Verizon Thinkfinity Education Speaker Series, Johnson, the CEO of Magic Johnson Enterprises, discusses the critical role that schools and teachers need to fill to support student achievement in and out of the classroom. He also has some advice for students, stating:

"You don't ever want to give an excuse. You know the challenges already, so, okay, you have them. But that doesn't stop you from bringing a good attitude to the school, being a great student at school, being a great person at your school."

Johnson also said teachers also need to encourage students to have not just one dream for their futures, but several dreams.

"It's very important that our kids understand that you don't have to have one dream," he said. "I think it's very important that we have a few dreams. I was dreaming that I was going to be in the NBA and that I was going to be a businessman. It wasn't until a teacher made me feel that way and gave me the confidence to go on."

No comments: